Launch of an exciting new era for the NRCL
For over 75 years, the Natural Resources Conservation League (NRCL) has been actively promoting the sustainable management of Victoria’s natural resources. A registered charity, the NRCL has its origins in the devastating 1939 bushfires in Victoria. Formed in 1944, originally as the Save the Forests Campaign, the NRCL has a long history of building the capacity of the Victorian community to actively participate in, and influence conservation and natural resource management issues. It has always had a practical focus, seeking to promote change through education, partnering and promoting community engagement in revegetation.
2020 has marked the start of a new era for the organisation.
- The NRCL has established the Natural Resources Conservation Trust (NRCT), an exciting philanthropic initiative that aims to be a significant player supporting and building the capacity of community based Landcare and Natural Resource Management networks engaged in landscape restoration. The board of STF1944 acting as Trustee for the NRCT has been appointed. (About Us – Governance)
- A comprehensive renewal of the NRCL board has resulted in the appointment of four new directors . The NRCL Board extends its deep appreciation to retiring director, Sarah Barker, who has made an outstanding contribution to the organisation since 2012.
- The NRCL Grants Program has provided ongoing grants to three projects supported since 2015 that all aim to build the capacity of the funded organisations and/or related networks.
- The NRCL has also provided critical funding to enable the newly formed Bunanyung Landscape Alliance to become operational and commence planning to implement its vision of landscape restoration in the catchments surrounding Ballarat in central Victoria.
- The NRCL is actively pursuing its plans for the future sustainable development of its property at Cranbourne West.
Further details of our future plans will be announced in the coming months. Watch this space as we finalise our strategic directions through to 2025!